Bolton Woods has a long history, taking its name from the woodland where houses and buildings now sit. Bolton Woods developed as a small village on a busy junction between Bradford and Shipley and later expanded to serve the nearby quarry.
It was once full of shops and in the 1920’s was a large and thriving centre. It began to lose shops when Canal Road was cut along the valley bottom depriving it of its passing trade. Despite this decline in shops and facilities, it is a strong and close knit community that has retained its identity. This sense of identity is a strong foundation on which to build an attractive and improved neighbourhood together with the community.